[RC] kicking,leaping etc. - rides2far

*one* more update and I'll be quiet. Took a very rattly oak limb with
dead leaves in and rubbed his neck and foreleg with no response. Shook it
above my head and he didn't like that at all. Snapped it to his tail and
he didn't even flinch the first time it hit his legs. Made no aggressive
moves at me for snapping something in his tail. The stall is 11x16 with
the rafters  about 16' up. I threw a rope over the rafter and lowered
down a black hay bag (I had a box seat in the haystack just over the
wall). When that came down it scared him, but he quickly recognized it as
his haybag and ate a little. I shifted it to a rafter farther out in the
stall instead of along the wall and he did *not* like it hanging at
approximately his ear level. So...I gave it a good swing and that's where
it is now.

By the way, not to start off a bunch of testimonials but I just checked
my helmet and the plastic shell has a broken area with a pretty good
indentation. Probably hit the stump of a sappling I'd trimmed back from
the trail. The other side has a dent so I guess I'll have a sharp new
helmet under the Christmas tree!  Also, I dislike the velcro coming loose
on my visor but have seen the snaps on others not turn loose and strain a
person's neck. A long time ago I tried hot glueing my visor on my Troxel
and it seemed to work well. It had never come off but it did break loose
easily yesterday.

One more endurance related bit. I'm dosing him with straight applesauce
now and then to get him used to syringes. :-)  I really am taking my time
with this guy. Looking back I can't believe that as soon as I had Kaboot
where I could sit on him I pretty much jumped in line behind a bunch of
endurance horses on training rides. No wonder he never learned to relax.
Weedy & I spend spend 95% of our time at a walk (and 5% leaping & kicking
out)  As we trotted along at a really slow  trot pre-wreck yesterday I'd
just told Josie that I wouldn't mind being in 30th place at all the rides
if it was that relaxing.

Angie