[RC] CTR vs. endurance - Tracey Smith

I have to totally agree with Heidi in that one of the biggest advantages to starting out in CTR is learning how to pace your horse and know how fast you are going.  Am finishing my 2nd season of CTR and am now ready and excited to tackle endurance with my mare.

I guess whether it is better to start them in CTR or endurance is a personal choice, but for me I decided to start Amira in CTR because I wanted her to have a good understanding of the fact that I set the pace...not her!  I know some may feel you can actually go slower in endurance if you are only riding for completion, but Amira's first few CTR's I did not worry about time...if we were over, so be it was my thought during the ride...we walked when we needed to, trotted when possible and somehow always still made it in on time.

I have an endurance friend here in town that says she did not like CTR because of the stabling and horse care rules (as someone else mentioned) but that is actually part of the reason I do like it...I have learned so much about caring for my horse doing CTR that will definitely help me in endurance and I am sure I will learn even more doing endurance too.

As for the stabling rules, I don't mind them a bit as my mare is very well behaved and does well tied to the trailer if needed, but most of the time we are able to picket and she does well that way too.   Many of the NATRC rules seemed silly to me too when I started but I know think about 99% of them make good sense.  And the horsemanship judging has really helped me become a better rider.

Probably my favorite thing about CTR  is the wonderful people I have met who have always been so helpful and friendly.  But, that (along with the chance to keep a faster pace and longer distance) is also what attracted me to endurance as I have so far met nothing but the most friendly and helpful endurance riders.

 So, in 2005 I plan to do about a 50/50 mix of CTR and endurance and enjoy the best of both worlds!!

See ya on the trail,

Tracey