Re: [RC] Re:starting an older horse - put on the miles - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/20/2004 3:17:19 PM Mountain Standard Time, judyshatir@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I had that experience with a really talented Witez II
bred gelding that we didn't get until he was 12. He
had been out to pasture and done mostly ring work.
I remember visiting Doc Munson and moving cattle for him in 1993.
    He had an own son of Garaff, (which made the horse a Raffles grandson), Shalimar Kelly.
    He said, "Frank, could you take that Kelly horse and do something with him.  He's opening all the gates and letting the mares out?"
    I asked how old Kelly was.
    "Fifteen and he hasn't been ridden for over three years, but he is hard and smart and sound," he told me.
    I took Kelly back to Colorado with me and six weeks later, he finished the Big Horn 100 9th out of 16 starters.  I'm not sure I even "used" him as hard as I could have.  He looked remarkable at the finish and still didn't care anything about me, just wanted to be left alone with his food and water and that's exactly what I did, after I cleaned him up a bit.
    At the finish, we pulsed down to 52 immediately after crossing the finish line.
    The point?
    A good horse is a good horse at any age.
    It's kinda what makes 'em a good horse.
    Then, as a rider, know what you're doing and don't complicate matters too much with too much of this or that, just ride the horse right.
    ~Frank