[RC] ctr vs end - larry Miller

In the midwest, we treat our horses in comp the same as in end.  We have pens, do not have to tie to the trailer, have basically the same rest period, are stopped as many times as end.  Differences, comp is a timed event, UMECRA allows no water to be splashed on at the vet check, forward motion is only when one is on the horse.  The exception to that last rule is if one considers something a danger to both rider and horse.  Then one is allowed to lead the horse thru the danger area.  One just learns to play the game.  No water on the horse at the end or at vet checks, then time oneself so one can meander in and get that low pulse.  Take a hat or lid and fan the horse to get the pulse to drop (it works!), take the saddle off, etc. One can go as fast as one wants too, but if losing points for being early is not an option, then spend more time at the vet check, do more walking, or sit in a grassy field for awhile until it is time to come in.  Teach the horse creeper gear.  We have to keep in forward motion the last 2 miles in when riding under UMECRA rules.  So the grassy field is before the 2 mile marker.  And the rider is supposed to be the only one taking care of the horse, no crews.  That is why comp is a good place to start.  A beginner is going to learn when he/she is responsible for all the care.  If one doesn't have a crew in endurance, then one is going to learn too.  It sinks in a little faster when the rider carries all the responsibility.  One can start anywhere, endurance or competitive, one can go any speed in either of these disciplines,  there are no set requirements telling one how to ride the ride.  Therein is the learning experience.  One can hurt the horse just as easily in competitive as endurance, so one just needs to do the homework no matter what is ridden.  Jeanie