Re: [RC] sprouting feed for horses - Marijane Boomer

From: Lif Strand <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  - Subject: [RC]   Sprouting feed for horses

Hi Lif,

I live in northern Michigan, where live food is also
non-existent for much of the year, and I've been using
sprouts as part of my feeding program for about two
and a half years now.

My "sprouting unit" is contained in a basement shower
that we don't use at this point.  The "drain" buckets
(dishwasher detergent buckets with a zillion small
holes drilled in the bottoms) sit on a rack, so rinse
water goes easily down the drain.

The process, done once a day, is basically:  Soak
seeds in non-draining buckets for the first day;
transfer to drain buckts second day, pour water
through all to rinse each day, stir to aerate (garden
trowel works great), use on approximately the fourth
day (different climates might differ).  I keep it all
covered with a towel in between.  The whole process
takes about 7 or 8 minutes.

I used just oat sprouts for a long time, just added
some wheat the past few months(I have geriatrics,and
wheat sprouts are very anti-inflammatory).  My
proportions are 1/3 wheat, 2/3 oats.  For six horses,
I use about 1 quart of wheat, 2 quarts oats, fed twice
per day, split proportionately (pony gets handful,
others get more according to easy/hard keeper status).

These are not green, since they're grown completely
indoors; I provide "green" with blue green algae.

The downside is the daily added chore, but I feel it's
worth it.  I've skipped a day and caught up from time
to time, but wouldn't let it go more than that; the
daily rinsing keeps them from having any "off" odor,
and I've never had a horse turn them down.  And this
is definitely not expensive!

Hope this helps,

Marijane Boomer (lady who feeds weird foods)------

http://my.yahoo.com