Re: [RC] Endurance Vs. CRT - Truman Prevatt

There are several CTR sanctioning bodies and the specific rules do vary some. However, they are share the basis of the sport in common.

In a CTR a rider has a fixed window of time to complete a set course. Take for discussion sake, 4 hours to 4 1/2 hours for 25 miles. In an endurance ride there is a max time (6 hours for a 25) but no min time. In a CTR riders have a staggered release times. In an endurance ride the trail is open for all horses in the event at the same time. In a CTR there is a stop about half way where the horses have to meet a pulse criteria. Some organizations use the measured pulse rate as a basis of scoring. Some just use a fixed criteria to allow the horses to proceed. In general this works as follows. A rider comes in and is given 10 minutes to get his horse a drink and get the pulse down. The pulse is taken. If there is no problem the rider is released to go. In an endurance ride there is a gate into a hold where each horse has a hold to rest (e.g. 30 to 45 minutes) after they meet pulse before they can go.

In a CTR a rider cannot make forward progress unless mounted. That means you cannot get off and walk your horse. In endurance you can make forward progress any way you want.

In a CTR horses are judged before the ride and after the ride and points are assigned based on the before and after judging. The winner is the horse with the most points. In an endurance ride there is vetting before and after to insure the horse is "fit to continue." Only if you stand for BC is there any "judging" to assign points.

In a nut shell a CTR is a judged event and endurance is a lot of different things to different people but in general it is a race with finishing order being determined on when you meet the finishing criteria (finish line for >=50 miles and 60 pulse for LD).

Truman

DaNel Resha wrote:
Hi all.

Since I've seen many people post about Endurance being different from CRT I wanted to ask what the differences were so I could figure out which way I want to try to go next year.

Thanks in Advance.

DaNel

DaNel Resha
Darswinkle's Delights

www.darswinkles-delights.com  for gift giving needs
www.my.tupperware.com/Darswinkle  for tupperware

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! – Get yours free!

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin