Re: [RC] electrocution from tank heater - Truman Prevatt

I don't know exactly what the code says, but the only way to test a GFI is with power on. However, I know when we built our house in '98 the power company would not turn on the power until we had a occupancy permit from the county. That was obtains after all final inspections were complete and signed off on. In reality all electrical inspections were performed without power on any circuit. Didn't make a lot of sense to me. I did test all the GFI circuits after power was turned on.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
"...Many times the wiring, installation adn inspection is done prior the the circuit being turned on.."

Doese't change any negligence by contractors or inspectors, just explains how sloppy workmanship can endanger lives.  Last time I checked the instructions from the GFCI makers they emphasized that GFCI's must be tested upon installation and retested periodically.  I suspect electrical codes contain the same warnings.
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin