RE: [RC] [RC] electrocution from tank heater - Jim Holland

In addition to a properly installed GFCI, either as the FIRST plug on the
string or a GFCI breaker in the electrical box, it is important that your
ELECTRICAL BOX has a proper ground.  There should be a heavy copper ground
wire that goes from the ground in the box to a ground rod, driven DEEPLY
into the earth.  You should periodically check the connector that attaches
the ground wire to the rod. GFCI's need a properly installed electrical
source to work reliably and safely.  This is an often overlooked problem,
particular in older installations or where construction disturbs the ground
location.

Things to consider when you build a new barn.

ALL wiring should be 12 Ga.

Put an outside outlet and a freeze-proof Fawcett on all sides of the barn as
a minimum.

All wiring should be armored or in conduit.

ALL circuits should be GFCI protected.

Plan your water locations.  Any time you bury a water line to a pasture,
bury a 12 Ga power line with it and install a covered outdoor outlet.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic