Re: [RC] Newbie Questions - Truman Prevatt

When I started I had sufficient trails and road side to get a safe 7 mile loop. I was also riding a very non-spooky rock solid stable (read non-arab ;-) ) so there was not fear of meeting a horse eatting mail box along the way.  I would do the opposite as Ed. I would get up at about 5:00 two days during the week and be on the horse at 5:30 put in the miles come back shower and then feed the one I'd ridden finish getting ready for work and let her out.  It was starting to get light by 6 most of the winter. About 1/2 of the ride was in the dark. I wore a bright yellow vest and a blinking light on the front and back of my helmet. I also had bright reflector tape on my helmet.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
"...train during the winter months..."

Before I retired, I lived in WI where sundown is 4:25 in December.  I traind my boss to let me come in early and leave early Tuesday and Thursday.  This got me home by 4:15.  I would get saddled up and out on the trail by 4:45. By the time I was going home, it was pitch black.  I put reflectors on my horse, an orange reflective vest and a blinking lights on me (front and back).

It only took a couple of weeks and Ranger became rock solid at night on roads.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin