Re: [RC] Standardbreds...& part... - Jon . Linderman

someone asked about adopting std breds:

New Vocations race horse adoption in Laura and Columbus, OH and there new
branch in MI adopt out alot of std breds  (www.horseadoption.com).  This
family, the Morgans, have owned and raced std breds for many generations.
I recently saw some nice nimble looking young mares on their site who were
either lightly raced or unraced.  Dot who runs the organization is a no BS
person and if she says the horse wasn't raced shes not selling you a bill
of goods. Lightly raced means lightly raced.

We race pacers and although I hate generalizations of any breed of horse
(too dumb, too crazy, bad hooves, etc) they are by and large a nice breed
of horse.  Although most are dark bay, they do come in a huge array of
sizes from beefy monsters over 16 hands to some speedy little oness down
around 14.3.  Some are long and rangy, others burly and stout.  Pacers do
trot, sometimes very nicely, but trotters do not pace & contrary to the
origins of std breds, not any horse that meets the standard can not
compete.  It is a breed.  Horses off the track have been handled daily and
w/all the gack used: doverchecks, knee, ankle, and tendon boots, tongue
ties, head poles, murphy blinds, tie downs, cruppers, etc, they can be
pretty desensitized to alot of commotion.  They seem to retain their
conditioning pretty well.  That is to say once you teach them something
they seem to remember it.

Somone asked about breeding and longevity.  Yes they have longevity & I am
no expert on conformation, but they have their issues w/hocks, OCD's, etc.
I think you have to consider that a horse w/100 starts on the track is not
altogether an uncommon std bred to find at auction or thru a
rescue/adoption agency.  100 starts means 100 fast miles on anything from a
rock hard frozen track, to a sloppy track, and God forbid the whack em and
smack world of the summer fair racing circuit.  That horse may have gotten
100 doses of lasix, pre-race banamine, and then oodles of zan tac or
gastroguard to combat the ulcers form lasix and banamine or bute.  Hock
injections w/depo are as regular as the sunrises for std breds because its
cheap and gets them back on the track earning their keep.  So yes they are
hardy and sturdy and never really seem to complain, but then don't kid
yourself into thinking they made all those trips around the track w/out
paying a price.  Not so many bowed tendons as arthritic issues w/hocks,
stifles, and ankles.

Probably not a bad idea to find a younger horses who were just too slow to
make it to the track and suffer the wear and tear of racing.  There are
alot of those out there.

Jon