[RC] light driving horses - Deblyons54

"There are some Saddlebred afficianados who put Saddlebreds in harness
and will use them for such; however, there are people who put arabian
horses in harness too, despite the fact that neither of these breeds had
ability as a harness horse as part of their selection criteria (and hard
core drivers have a tendency to steer clear of them:))."

Is there anyone on the list who does endurance drives? I drove an Arab/Quarter cross mare for about 10 years. She did great on the road but I noticed a distinct difference in the way she pulls and the way my Morgan mare pulls. My Arab/Quarter mare seemed to pull more with her neck and seemed to stress her forelegs more. She would fuss a lot pulling steep hills and would insist on a trot or canter to build some momentum. My Morgan mare, on the other hand, hunkers down and puts everything she has into pulling heavy loads or steep grades. It doesn't stress her and she never fusses about it. So - if you ever enter a stump pulling contest - keep the above in mind:)