[RC] foaming at the mouth update - Marlene Moss

Well, not much of an update!  I had the vet out and he looked at both horses.  He did find a lesion in one horse’s mouth, and thought it looked like she can cut it on a pine branch or something.  Of course we have concern about VS here, but since the bugs have been gone for a while and they haven’t been closer than 100 feet of another horse, nor shared any drinking water in a couple months, plus the actual look of the sore, was not worried about that.  And I’ve seen this horse chow on the pine trees and she’ll just tear the branches up.

The other horse could use a float (surprising since I had her checked, but apparently not done in mid summer), but nothing else indicating a problem in the mouth.

There was no sign of choke and he knew there wouldn’t be clover in our pasture so he went through a couple bales of hay and didn’t find any clover.  It’s been pretty consistent hay too.

The only other thing he could think of was the alfalfa.  I’d been feeding the one mare with the sore a half slice of alfalfa (suggested to help neutralize acid since she had ulcers).  The other horse managed to snag a bit that was close to a doorway right about the time this all started.  But one other horse has been getting a little and he doesn’t have anything unusual going on.  It is fairly stemmy stuff – we had been just shaking out the leafy parts for a while, but had gotten lazy.  It might have either caused that mouth sore, or at least be irritating it.

So we’re going to stop the alfalfa for a bit, get the one horse’s teeth floated, quit putting 12/12 in the feed of the horse with the sore and go from there.

I hate mysteries!  But at least the vet isn’t concerned that something terrible is going on.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com

www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)