[RC] Why Don't We See More Standardbred/Standardbred Crosses - Carolyn Burgess

As someone who rides these horses (they are my breed
of choice), and is also an officer in a group that
promotes the Standardbred in their careers after
racing, it is not just the endurance crowd that has
passed over these horses.  When someone is looking for
a horse, for whatever they want to do, and you say,
"Have you looked at Standardbreds?"  They make a face
at you.  I've seen people pay $5,000 for a broken down
OTT Thoroughbred, but won't even look at a free sound
Standardbred.  And there are lots of them out there.

I don't understand why more endurance folks don't
consider these horses.  If you look at the foundation
breeds for the Standardbred (Arab, Thoroughbred,
Morgan, are the most notable), these are the horses
that excel in this sport.  The one thing about this
breed is that they don't all conform to the same body
type.  Some look like Thoroughbreds, some warmbloods,
some Morgans and some Arabs, some Saddlebreds.  Just
look for one that has the body style that works best
for this sport.  They have good brains and they are
good thinkers, great dispositions, willing attitude
and they are TOUGH AS NAILS.  They are also trotting
machines and have a ground covering trot that most of
our non-Standardbred opponents have to canter or hand
gallop to keep up with.

If they are coming off the track and are sound, they
already have the foundation and condiitioning for this
sport, you just have to break them to saddle, which
BTW, usually means just putting a saddle on them and
getting on.  Their training for racing usually means
that they are jogged in harness somewhere between 5 -
10 miles/day, usually on a hard surface, so they are
already legged up.

And there are people out there competing on these
horses.  I believe that all of Earle Baxters horses
are part Standardbred, my girl friend and I also
compete Standardbreds (we are in the NE Region) and I
am going to look at a Standardbred mare this weekend
as an endurance prospect.

If anyone is looking for a Standardbred for
endurance/LD or competitive trail, email me privately
(carolyn at doubleheartranch dot com)  - I have alot
of connections for both private horses, racing homes
that are looking to place horses and I have three
track connections in the New England/New York area.

Carolyn Burgess