From: "Mary Maynard" <luvmares@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   affordable??

I am very impressed with laura's response to this question. I take my
hat
off to her!

I do stuggle with the cost of this sport.  I often feel like it is just
too
costly.But I can't seem to stop :-) !

I am lucky to have a loving and supportive husband who helps me pay my
horse
expense bills. But I do work part time and every thing I earn goes to
the
horses.

I have four horses. I pride myself in taking the best care I can of my
horses. This is,  in it's self,  very expensive:  shoes on two , trims
on
the two not being worked-  all done every 5 weeks. Feed and supplements
for
four, vaccinations and adaquan costs, Chiropractic care for my working
horses and teeth work bi annually,  and then there is the need for
health
certificates and coggins. The list goes on and on. Then you add truck
care ,
fuel cost , time off from work. Oh brother it adds up.I don't have a
fancy
living quarter trailer. I sleep on a futon mattress in the  nose of my
goose
neck, with no air conditioning and an ice chest for food and I take
sponge
baths to clean up. For several years I slept in the bed of my truck...

When I think of all the money I am spending, I get real nervous and
think I
should just quit..and put the money into our retirement fund. But one
important truth for me is ; I have to ride or I really WILL go nuts.
Riding
keeps me sane :-).  So is it affordable? For me I can't afford to stop -
or
it would be the looney farm for sure :-).

Good luck to you - go for it!!! Be sure to use Laura Hayes as a GREAT
example of how to attain what matters to you in life.

I hope to meet you on the trail some day!

Mary Anne Maynard

From: Pam DeMerchant <pam.demerchant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   affordable??

There are 2 ways to afford our hobby: a) reduce expenses b) increase
income.  So far, the comments have been on the first option.  There are
only a few that are able to successfully make money off of their horses,
and for the rest of us, they're an expensive hobby.  Accepting that
reality, I chose to sacrifice for many years, by choosing a non-horsey
indoor career that would pay enough to afford my habit, and went back to
school twice while working full-time in order to get there.  I rode
not-at-all, and then very sporadically during that time.  It paid off
and has definitely been worth it.  You get to pick which method or
combination is acceptable to you.  Either way, there is sacrifice
involved.

Pam