Re: [RC] joint supplements - Kristen A Fisher

----- Original Message -----
From: Herrmann
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 6:27 AM
Subject: [RC] joint supplements

How many of you feed joint supplements as a preventative?  Any particular brand recommendations?  Are there any out there that I shouldn't be feeding during the competitive season?  What age is a good time to start feeding them?
In my opinion after all the reading I have done, I use Chondrogen EQ. It has high levels at a normal dosage of what I think are the 3 most important joint supplement compounds:

ngredients Per Serving
Glucosamine Sulfate 5000 mg
Chondroitin Sulfate 500 mg
Sodium Hyaluronate 20 mg
[plus Manganese Sulfate 20 mg]

I have found that you really need to read the ingredients and compare ingredients serving-to-serving. You can get higher levels of the ingredients than in Chondrogen but it starts to get prohibitively expensive. I get it from SmartPak for $51 for 25 oz [1/2 oz per day is normal dosage so this is a 50 day supply] which is one of the best prices I have seen for it [and I looked]. Also, the SmartPak catalog has a VERY handy serving-to-serving comparison of the wide variety of joint supplements they offer [which are also widely available] so that is a good "cheat sheet".

Good luck,
Kristen in TX