[RC] A Wonderful Day - RDCARRIE

I just had a great day.  First, I did a 20 mile conditioning ride on my friend's 5 yr old.  We had a great time, just trotting along for miles all by ourselves.  General got to pass lots of fields full of cows (not his favorites <G>), and he was pretty much ok with them by the 7th field or so.  Saw several deer, even though it's hunting season, and a speedy gray fox that zipped across the road in front of us.  Our first true blue cold front hit today, and it was really windy and chilly.  General felt good, and just ate up the miles.

When we got back, I looked at our 29 year old gelding Raffey (HH Rafazon), who was begging to be taken out.  When I took him out of the pasture, he was practically airborn as he tried to drag me to the horse trailer.  No, Raff, we're not trailering anywhere!  LOL  The boy just loves to go.  I threw a bridle on him, hopped on bareback, and off we went down the road.  He was like a kid in a candy shop.  His eyes were glowing, ears so pricked that they nearly touched at the tips, and he was jigging and prancing like a 4 year old.  I finally got him to remember that, with his withers, I *don't* like him to jig when I'm bareback <G>, so he settled into his power walk, the one that can keep up with many horses that are trotting.  He might be barely 14.2h (and a lot of that is withers), but he's a bundle of energy.  We rode 3 1/2 miles down to the highway, and then came back.  He was still excited and ready for more, but the temperature was dropping, and I was getting cold!  I haven't ridden him in ages...every time I do, I wonder why I don't carve out time to do it more often.  He loves to go so much...and he's a blast to ride.

All in all, a great day.  Just had to share.
Dawn in East Texas