Re: [RC] How does your horse score - tom noll

Steph et al:

Thank you for posting the Body Condition article (BC).  The statistics regarding BC and 100-mile completion at Tevis are very persuasive.  The likelihood of finishing appears to increase dramatically as the BC score approaches 5.  For example, in the 95-96 study a BC of 4.0 or less meant a likelihood of finishing at less than 65 percent and a BC of 5.0 or greater increased the likelihood of finishing to over 90 percent.

In 1998 the critical BC level seemed to be about 4.0.  Horses with a BC less than 4.0 had less than a 26 percent probability of finishing whereas a score of 4.0 or above increased the likelihood of finishing to over 90 percent (I wonder if the difference between the two studies is due to the somewhat subjective aspect of Body Condition scoring).  A detailed summary of the studies is published on Susan Garlinghouse's site at:

Reading those articles caused me to alter my training and fitness routine for both myself and my horse.  The key is to achieve adequate fitness training without depleting the body's reserves -- fitness versus fatness.  Lastly, I think that the BC findings may well apply to ultrarunners too, but that may require further study.

The statistics regarding BC seem very important and I was wondering if the Horse and Welfare Committee and the Veterinary Committee would want to include some Body Condition Score questions on their treatment and mortality follow-up questionnaires.

In summary, Body Condition Score seems to be a very strong predictor of success at the 100-mile distance and I wonder why the topic has not received greater emphasis.

Best Regards,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho