Re: [RC] too many horses - heidi

I agree that they aren't happy. If mine haven't been ridden in a while,
they  root for the halter and holler at the trailer leaving. The saddest
thing is  an older horse that has worked hard all their life and can't
figure why they  aren't allowed to go.

That's for sure--I've seen some pretty sad faces on the old campaigners
when the trailer pulls out the drive with the "younger generation" aboard.
It's funny, too--they also know when you're going to a ride and when
you're just hauling horses.  The preparations are different.  They don't
fret when I just haul some broodmares off or some such--but they really
fret when we've loaded up all the ride stuff and don't take them...

Heidi's situation IS different--I believ most of her horses get to run
out  and be a herd with lots of horse interaction and fun. It's not fun
when   breeding animals are in little pens with no interaction and not
enough  exercise.

Yes, being out makes such a difference.  That was one of the main reasons
we moved here.  We had most of our horses "out" before but not near the
space.  We still don't have the freedom we'd like for some of the
stallions, but we're working on that, too--and at least they aren't locked
away from everybody, as almost all of them have horse buddies right across
the fence, and in some cases, the younger ones still get to live together
in bachelor bands.  (I have a long three-year-old bachelor "pair" at the
moment.)  Even our riding geldings live out in a group of geldings.

Heidi (looking forward to getting some of the younger generation of
stallions going under saddle in the next year as well, now that we're back
riding!!)