[RC] mules cruppers or britchens? - Judie Ricci

I ride mules in endurance, most of the SE riders called us the "mule people"   and have never used a britchen., because I don't pack.      I crupper train mine in a round pen just like you would any horse.  The mules are quicker to understand that the "thing " under the tail isn't going any where.  For endurance I have used  light saddles , the wintec end. saddle  has fit most,  from my big mule Operah , 16.2h  to little Tar Baby 14.2h ( who now lives in Ga.)  and the Tucker endurance equitation also  fits them all very well.  ,  the mules chest is narrower than a horse and they are very wide sprung in the ribs,  so the way they move sends the saddle forward .  The britchen was used for packing, to hold the load , but I would think that on an endurance ride it would be very uncomfortable for the  mule to move under.
If you are going to do endurance on a mule ,  crupper train them.  most riding mules have had a crupper on them. but it is safe to see them go in one first ,so   after getting to know a new mule,  I always put them in the round pen with the endurance saddle, sponge, scoop, breast collar and crupper with the stirrups hanging , I talk to them  a lot , let them know what is going on (mules are precocious and brilliant and understand all languages) it is important to introduce them to ALL the  flappy things on the saddle,   and put  them in the round pen,   slowly tighten the crupper  and  step back and send them around.  I have had one that tried to "buck the brand off"  but he settled down after about ten times around,  the others all sucked tail, bucked a little , and that was it,   I have an Arabian geld.  I'm using a lot right now that will still crupper buck  once in a while,  I have bee n using a crupper on him for over a year.  IF you are going to ride mules  in endurance take your time to get to know them , once you bond you have a partner, if the mule doesn't like you , get a different one . They are very unforgiving, sensitive ,and extremely smart.   If I had my way I would have a herd of them,  but Pete doesn't have the personality for only mules,  even a perfect one like my Opheria will argue with you once in a while.

Judie Ricci
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.