Re: [RC] WEIGHT DIVISIONS - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/1/2004 6:06:38 PM Mountain Standard Time, rides2far@xxxxxxxx writes:
Call me slow...but I read this several times and I'm not sure what you're
getting at. Is winning a bad thing? Are you saying people will have to
compromise principals in some way in the weight catagory to *win*?
I don't mean to be so nebulous...
No, I don't think winning is a "bad thing"...absolutely not saying that.
No, I'm not saying people will have to compromise principals in some way in the weight category to *win*.
What I believe is (generally) lighter riders tax their horses less during a ride than heavier riders.
So, by extension, it seems that riders who want to be "competitive" in each weight division, should weigh the bare minimum for that weight division.  It seems to me that they would then have done all they could (regarding rider weight) to help their horse go faster and longer.
And, if other riders don't like it, they could just lose weight, or gain weight and (barely) make the next heavier weight division.
Of course, this doesn't take into account the horse...or (HEY) what the horse weighs. :^)
    It seems to me that the better prepared horses and riders consistently perform well in this sport.
    We could all weigh the same, use the same exact tack, drive the same trucks, use the same trailers, eat the same stuff during rides AND THEN someone would want to know why every horse didn't have to wear the same weight horseshoes or want to know why so-and-so gets to ride an Arabian while so-and-so's Quarterhorse is at a disadvantage because of tightly packed fast twitch muscles...
    If someone wants to win, they need to do all they can to win.
    Prepared horse and rider teams (bent on winning) won't be denied because of accessories, ambient variables and such.
  ~Frank

    So, ride with filled water bottles or empty water bottles, or with ten pound weights in your bags....doesn't really matter....the prepared horse and rider will always rise to the fore.