[RC] Weight Divisions, volunteerism, and Edie Booth - Michael Maul

There's two different parts of Nancys post that I'd like to reply to.

The first is volunteerism vs the rules.

Speaking generally, exactly how much work does one have to do in order to ignore the rules? So many hours per pound, or what? Can one buy extra miles with work, too, or is it just a weight allowance? I can't believe I'm hearing directors, former directors and long time members saying that donating time and work to AERC earns a free pass with the rulebook."

I certainly agree that no amount of volunteerism or work puts anyone above the rules. So far from the posts - I've only seen one post that even suggested that.

In the case discussed though - there was no violation of the rules to consider.
On the second issue - I had to do some research.

I checked online records for my riding in the CT region in the time period that Nancy Mitts mentions in her post. Nancy implies there's been a long standing period where weight was a problem which is not true.

I rode two horses during 1995 to 1997. The first was an older horse - starting in July of 95 thru March of 96. If we placed in top ten - it was because less than ten horses started. Generally we were bottom half or slower. No one cared what I weighed.

In April of 1996 thru Nov of 1997 - I partnered with a more experienced horse that did well. After that time - I took a job in California and have not ridden in the CT region until I came back last October.

After we started doing well in 1996 and showing for BC - some individuals did care. To illustrate the depth of feeling on the part of some riders in Nov of 1997 - I was actually weighed at the start and finish of an LD ride where I placed 12th. No one else was weighed. I could not have shown for BC and it was an LD as well.

As far as trying to pad my weight to be a HW as Nancy states - which isn't true - I would have been weighing in for BC which is done right after you finish the ride. I weighed in at the proper weight for a HW from the few BC forms I still have.

I'm also amazed at the depth of detail which the description goes into -
" and even gloves in water before weighing."

I've never worn gloves to ride in my whole career.

I think that this has gotten to be something more personal than rules.

Mike Maul