RE: [RC] Fw: [RC] DAL Election / Weight Divisions!! - heidi

When I first started in endurance, riders had to weigh in on the ride
scales  before the ride began. It seemed like such a hassle and most for
the most  part was totally unnecessary. Perhaps we need to start going
back to that.   There is two-fold responsibility here. A rider that
knows they are close to  the line can/should ask to weigh pre-ride and
carry what they need to to  make the weight by that scale at the start
of the ride. Riders who suspect  someone is not making weight should
challenge them PRERIDE while there is  opportunity to correct the issue
to everyone's satisfaction. Waiting until  the end of the ride season to
raise this issue (again) is probably not the  fair way to complain.
I appreciate the work Mike has done for the organization too, but that
shouldn't excuse him from paying attention to his weight.

Nancy, I have never ridden with Mike, and cannot speak to the issue of his
weight specifically.  However, as a "cusp" HW myself, and with a husband
who could also ride HW if he chose to carry "stuff", this is an issue near
and dear to me.

I don't have a problem making weight without carrying "stuff"--and I think
this is important, because not all of the "stuff" stays on my saddle the
entire ride, even when I do carry it.  I judged for BC at a ride this year
even though I was far enough back on time to know I was not in
contention--and although it was nice to have mentioned that my horse
earned High Vet Score, the real reason for my choosing to judge was to get
on a scale post-ride without the jacket that had been shed halfway,
without the water bottles being full, etc., and to officially have my
weight posted in case there is ever any question--and it was a nice solid
214#.  My husband without "stuff" often weighs in at around 205#-208#.  It
would not be difficult for him to carry enough "stuff" to make up that
difference and be a HW as well.  We opt not to have him do that--for this
very reason.  He rides as a MW.

I also notice when I'm riding that a lot of guys who I think MIGHT be my
HW competition are actually MWs--and the day I judged for BC, two riders
who are MWs actually outweighed me, because they WERE carrying lots of
"stuff." My hat is off to those folks who choose not to weigh with all
their "stuff" in order to meet a weight division cut-off.  (Heck, I WISH I
didn't weigh that much without my "stuff.")  They are being honest about
the fact that at some point on any given ride, their horse might well NOT
be carrying HW weight, even if he does part of the time.  (I know hubby's
horse carries HW weight when we add Easyboots, full water bottles, camera
bag, a winter jacket, etc.--but since he doesn't carry that much "stuff"
all the time, it would be less than honest of us to register hubby as a
HW.)

Just an observation, and again, my hat is off to those folks who have the
integrity to leave the "stuff" off that isn't there all the time when they
determine which weight division to sign up for.

Heidi

PS:  I just had the experience of doing the weighing for the Owyhee 100
FEI ride--before, during, and after the ride.  They are allowed some
shrink as well in FEI rules, but not as much as in AERC.  (And the
allowable shrink is figured as a percentage of the RIDER'S weight--not of
the overall rider/tack combo.)  And when they weigh IN and are close to
the line, their "stuff" is inventoried--and what "stuff" is there at
weigh-in has to be there the whole ride.  No Easyboots, no bridle, no full
water bottles (unless you want to have them sealed) are allowed to figure
into the weight.  I sure hope we don't have to go to that extreme in
AERC--but the way NOT to have to is to have riders police themselves and
sign up for a lower weight division if there is ANY issue.