[RC] 12/13/04 COMMENTS NEEDED Proposed Designation of Critical Habitat for Southwestern Willow Flycatcher - Di

This is something that may effect western riders.
Jerry

Subject: 12/13/04 COMMENTS NEEDED Proposed Designation of Critical Habitat for Southwestern Willow Flycatcher

October 12, 2004 (Volume 69, Number 196)]
[Proposed Rules]
[Page 60705-60786]
Proposed Designation of Critical Habitat for Southwestern Willow Flycatcher
(Empidonax traillii extimus)

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.

ACTION: Proposed rule.

SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), propose to
designate critical habitat for the federally endangered southwestern
willow flycatcher (Empidonax trailli extimus) pursuant to the
Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (Act). In developing this
proposal, we evaluated those lands determined to be essential to the
conservation of the southwestern willow flycatcher to ascertain if any
specific areas are appropriate for exclusion from critical habitat
pursuant to section 4(b)(2) of the Act. On the basis of our evaluation,
we have determined that the benefits of excluding certain approved and
pending Habitat Conservation Plans (HCPs) and lands owned and managed
by the Department of Defense from critical habitat for the southwestern
willow flycatcher outweighs the benefits of their inclusion, and have
subsequently excluded those lands from this proposed designation of
critical habitat for this species pursuant to section 4(b)(2) of the
Act. As such, we propose to designate 376,095 acres (ac) (152,124
hectares (ha)) [including approximately 1,556 stream miles (2,508
stream kilometers)] of critical habitat which includes various stream
segments and their associated riparian areas, not exceeding the 100-
year floodplain or flood prone area, on a combination of Federal,
State, Tribal, and private lands in southern California (CA), southern
Nevada (NV), southwestern Utah (UT), south-central Colorado (CO),
Arizona (AZ), and New Mexico (NM).
    We hereby solicit data and comments from the public on all aspects
of this proposal, including data on economic and other potential
impacts of the designation. We are also specifically soliciting public
comments on the appropriateness of excluding lands covered by certain
approved and pending HCPs and Department of Defense lands pursuant to
section 4(b)(2) of the Act from this designation.
    In the development of our final designation, we will incorporate or
address any new information received during the public comment periods,
or from our evaluation of the potential economic impacts of this
proposal. As such, we may revise this proposal to address new
information and/or to either exclude additional areas that may warrant
exclusion pursuant to section 4(b)(2) or to add in those areas
determined to be essential to the species but excluded from this
proposal.

DATES: We will accept comments until December 13, 2004. Public hearing
requests must be received by November 26, 2004.

ADDRESSES: If you wish to comment, you may submit your comments and
materials concerning this proposal by any one of several methods:
    1. You may submit written comments and information to the Steve
Spangle, Field Supervisor, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, AZ
Ecological Services Office, 2321 West Royal Palm Road, Suite 103,
Phoenix, AZ, 85021.
    2. You may hand-deliver written comments and information to our AZ
Ecological Services Office, or fax your comments to 602/242-2513.
    3. You may send your comments by electronic mail (e-mail) to
wiflcomments@xxxxxxx
. For directions on how to submit electronic filing

of comments, see the ``Public Comments Solicited'' section.
    All comments and materials received, as well as supporting
documentation used in preparation of this proposed rule, will be
available for public inspection, by appointment, during normal business
hours at the above address.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Steve Spangle, Field Supervisor, AZ
Ecological Services Office (telephone 602/242-0210; facsimile 602/242-
2513).

Following the final listing, we took no immediate action on the
proposal to designate critical habitat due to a listing moratorium and
a series of rescissions of listing funds imposed by Congress from April
1995 to April 1996. On March 20, 1997, the U.S. District Court of
Arizona, in response to a suit by the (Southwest) Center for Biological
Diversity, ordered us to designate critical habitat for the
southwestern willow flycatcher within 120 days. On July 22, 1997, we
published a final critical habitat designation for southwestern willow
flycatcher along 964 river km (599 river mi) in AZ, CA, and NM (62 FR
39129) (USFWS 1997a). We published a correction notice on August 20,
1997, on the lateral extent of critical habitat (62 FR 44228) (USFWS
1997b).
    As a result of a suit from the New Mexico Cattlegrower's
Association initiated in March 1998, on May 11, 2001, the 10th Circuit
Court of Appeals vacated (i.e., set aside) critical habitat, citing a
faulty economic analysis, and instructed us to issue a new critical
habitat designation. On September 30, 2003, in a complaint brought by
the Center for Biological Diversity, the U.S. District Court of New
Mexico instructed us to propose critical habitat by September 30, 2004,
and publish a final rule by September 30, 2005. On January 21, 2004, we
published a Notice of Intent to prepare an Environmental Assessment
pursuant to NEPA and announced scoping meetings (69 FR 2940). We
requested public comments on information about the flycatcher,
management plans, and the scope of the environmental analysis,
including alternatives that should be analyzed. We also held eight
public scoping meetings in January and February, 2004, in Phoenix, AZ;
Silver City and Albuquerque, NM; Alamosa, CO; Las Vegas, NV; and Lake
Isabella, Chino, and Escondido, CA.