Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 9:50 AM
Subject: [RC] Fw: advice on bucking horse please!!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 11:48 AM
Subject: advice on bucking horse please!!

I came to the best place to get some advice guys...so please give me some good tips!

Horse is a 4 yr. old paint.  >From what we have gathered he was owned by an elderly man, sold, and was not put under saddle till possibly these last 3 weeks (to our knowledge) anyway, he was getting ready to go thru a sale barn.

We can take him over obstacles ground/saddled, we have flopped things at him, taken willow branches, ran over his body, under belly, over the top, over the ears, etc. both ground/saddled, and he does nothing.  But when you go to get on this horse, he will run his butt under himself and is nervy.  We've poked along his back did all kinds of things trying to find ouchy spots on his back and there is nothing.  Anyway, once you've gotten on him the initial time, you can then get on and off, but if this horse feels any "leg" what so ever he flies into bucking.  So I don't know if the getting on, he feels like something is getting him in the belly and therefore that's why the mounting is the same way the first time or not.  He's been backing fine, but the other day he "locked up" and my husband gave him a squeeze to get his feet moving, and he reared up.  You can have a saddle on him, and stand there run your hands and poke, prod, whatever in the belly, and he won't do anything.  It's just all in the saddle.  We thought that possibly since he hadn't been broke and possibly sold to a person to go in the sale barn that maybe someone had gotten spurs on him, and was trying to get him sale ring ready.

Do any of you all have any suggestions?  We've been trying to do a lot of desensitizing, serpentines, suppling, backing, that's all going well.  It's just seems to be limited to mounting, then legs.  Any ideas???????

Thanks ahead!
Lori