Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - Magnumsmom

In a message dated 10/26/04 7:01:13 PM, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

BTW, raping little girls is against the law in this country as well--but
well over half of the little girls in the after-school program in this
county have been sexually abused by male relatives or their moms'
boyfriends.?? I also think that is an atrocity.? Who should I boycott to
stop it?? We do all we can to intervene, and every once in a great while
we get enough evidence to prosecute a perp, but that hasn't put a stop to
the horror.? Before someone misquotes me by suggesting that I think this
makes the UAE situation "ok"--I most certainly am not suggesting any such
thing.? I'm merely pointing out that "being against the law" does not put
an end to such practices--there, here, or anywhere else.

Heidi

A point well taken.  This country is a pretty big glass house.

However, I would invite the UAE to take a peaceful stand (I
consider a boycott a peaceful stand) against this practice in
our country.  Someone somewhere needs to do something.
The numbers are still appalling.

Incidentally, while the majority of the perps are known to the
girls (and a surprisingly high percentage of young boys as
well), stranger attacks are also a significant problem.

I strongly urge the AERC to take a stand against inhumane
practices in the UAE.  I also strongly urge all of our membership
to take a stand against our own atrocities right here at home.
That means know what's going on.  If you are a parent, talk to
your kids.  Protect them.  Do something to protect your
neighbor's kids as well.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM