[RC] Horse with halitosis - sherman

I have a pony here that nearly died due to gum infection. The clue was halitosis, but the vet didn't see the missing tooth above, the overgrown tooth below & the inflamed gum because Muffin is very small & it was hard to get a good look. After a  trip to UCDavis a couple of months of antibiotics, and dental work, she finally recovered.
Kathy
Grass Valley, CA

A friend called me to say that she thinks her horse may have ulcers because
he has really bad breath. I thought that it would probably mean a tooth or
sinus infection.  She is calling the vet out but I just wondered what y'all
thought was the cause.