Re: [RC] still having issues... - Chris Paus

First of all a horse must be suited mentally as well
as physically to do endurance and go down the trail.
It may be that this isn't the right horse for this
sport. Or it may be that the horse-rider combo isn't
the right one. She may be picking up on your anxieties
and not wanting to go down the trail because you are
afraid.

Have you ruled out all potential pain issues? Saddle
fit, teeth, back soreness, etc. An awful lot of horse
misbehavior is over saddle fit. And 99 percent of the
people who come to me tell me their saddle fits fine,
but really it doesn't. And how about you? When my very
experienced gelding starts acting up on trail, often
it is ME. I tend to have one hip that is as much as an
inch higher than the other. When I go to the chiro and
get myself put back straight, my horse goes much
straight down the trail without resistance.

The horse tell us in whispers that something is wrong.
your horse is screaming. If it's nothing physical,
then maybe she does sense danger in the woods. It's up
to you to either condition her to accept the problem
or not ride her in places where she'll freak out.

My main squeeze goes ballistic over trains. He's
unconsolable. We had to pull from a ride where the
trail followed a train track for 6 miles. His heart
rate soared to the ozone and stayed there. My solution
was to take a backup horse the next time I wanted to
do that ride. At 17 years of age, it's not likely I'm
going to convince Star that trains aren't going to eat
him, so I avoid the situation with him.

If I didn't have a backup horse, I'd probably send him
over to a friend's house where her pasture abuts a
train track and just let him get over it.

I'd suggest this. Take your horse to the woods, to a
freak out place. Lead her there if you have to. Take
along a picnic for the two of you and have her on a
halter and lead so you can control her or tie her.
Find a spot where she's resistant and just hang out
there until she figures out it's OK. Take some apples
and carrots for her, or whatever her favorite treat
is. Take a book for yourself. Just chill in that spot
and don't worry about riding and going forward.

The other suggestion I have for you is a long-range
option. Get some riding lessons. Preferably dressage
lessons and get your horse back into school too. When
a horse is resistant to moving forward for whatever
reason, if it's not pain or discomfort, then it's
likely that she is resistant in other areas too
because the rider isn't asking the question correctly.
I can't tell you how many people ask the horse to go
with their legs and seat, but say whoa with their
hands! The horse gives up in confusion and often
rears, bolts, or does some other misbehavior.

Your goal with this training is to teach your horse
that as long as you are on her or near her, she will
be safe and know that what you ask of her is
reasonable.

The other option is as the people at your barn
suggest.. whip her and beat her down the trail. What
does this do. Think like a horse! She's concerned
about going away from her safe haven, the barn, and
into the unknown, the trail. It's scary. Now the human
on top of her is smacking her and carrying on. Well,
you've just reinforced to her that it is indeed a
scary place. She's likely to never go into the woods.
You've made it a fearsome place.

I like to play leapfrog with horses on the trail. Go
out with someone who has a nice,steady trail horse.
Let that horse lead for awhile, but switch lead
positions so that your horse has to go. It's OK if she
balks. Just stand there and let her increase her
comfort zone. eventually she'll start going forward.
When she does, you make a really big deal about it and
praise her to the heavens.

Hope that helps.

chris
--- Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: sue sue_jamaica@xxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had posted a while back about my horse totally
unwilling to go onto the trails where I board her.
I'm not sure if it's because she smells Deer or
Bear. I can get her up to the trail but not down
it-she becomes hystrical snorting,rearing,refusing.
People at my barn say she is "playing the game" on
me. Someone on this website gave me a soloution to
her rearing-telling me to press down on her neckline
by the withers. This really works! However it
doesen't cure her not wanting to go foreward.This
summer she went fine alone.I took a crop with me, I
used it and she almost threw me off! She even feels
timid when we go with other horses-wanting to stay
behind and taking "baby-steps". I'm getting
frustrated! :DDD Do you think I should have someone
come alsong on foot with a lounge wip? Let me know
of any soloutions!

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus