Re: [RC] Hallelujah! Movin' on up (Part 2) - Timothy Worden

Congrats Jim!!!  After finishing the 50...last...I was
really kicking myself for not doing the 75 with you.
I had way too much horse left.  Rocco did very well
barefoot, though this was an all sand ride.  Wish I
could join ya at the Goethe 100...but I've decided to
do the Carolina 100.  I believe JD said he found some
trails that were not along the road.  The last couple
years his 100 got a good turnout, so hopefully again
this year.  Which means I'll probably be ordering a
pair of Boa Boots from Candy at the end of the week.

I believe Debra Foti won the 100..not he 50:)

Tim Worden - Hallelujah 50 Turtle

--- Jim Holland <lanconn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

1.5 hours on the first 15 mile loop.little too fast,
but OK.Magic didn't
drink at all on the trail, but ate his slurry and
took a good drink just as
we were leaving the 10 minute hold.  Back after the
10 mile loop at 10:18.8
miles/hr.  Still just a little fast, but acceptable.
Dumped the saddle,
washed off the sand and went immediately to the
Vet...pulse at 56. Perfect
Vet score.all A's.

Out at 10:55 on the next loop.15 miles..arrival at
12:51.perfect pace!
Magic is drinking well now.  Dumped the saddle,
straight to the Vet, pulse
at 50. Another perfect Vet score.all A's.  An hour
hold here. Magic drank
well and is HUNGRY!  Wolfed down his beet pulp
slurry.so we made him another
one.  Ate that one as well, then moved on to the hay
for a few minutes,
cocked a back leg and took a nap!  What a guy!

Out at 1:59 for another 10 mile loop, arrived at
3:18..pace is good. Pulse
is 52...Vet scores again perfect.all A's.

25 miles to go.  Last 15 mile loop, out at 3:55.done
this loop before..Magic
is dragging a little with no company, but about
halfway through the loop, he
realizes he is headed for camp and picks it up.
Arrived at 6:02..pace still
good.right at two hours for 15 miles.  Again
straight to the Vet..pulse at
61.highest of the day so far, but the sand is deep
on this loop. They are
serving dinner, so Joan does the trot out while I
grab a plate of pork
barbecue and some wonderful desert. Otis gives me a
"thumbs up" from the Vet
area..again straight A's...can he hold this for the
rest of the ride?

10 miles to go.Otis asks "Are you OK?" He isn't
worried about Magic! <grin>
Out on the last 10 miles at dusk..moon is rising,
but lots of shadows and
dark in the trees. After about 5 miles, can't see
anything but the glow
sticks, so trusting Magic now, who is still holding
a nice steady trot.  He
knows this trail and handles it well, slowing for
the downhills and sand,
picking it up on the flat, getting stronger. He
slows as the lights of camp
come into sight and I dismount and lead him into
camp.  Checked with the in
timer and head for the trailer. Drop the saddle, and
don't even bother with
a pulse check. At the P/R, his pulse is the lowest
of the day..47.  When the
Vet checks him after the trot out, it is 44!  Again
straight A's..a perfect
day.  Ten riders started, 9 finished.we were 7th.
Joan and I were hugging
Magic we were so proud of him.75 miles with a
perfect Vet score.better than
a win!

Got Magic clean and his blanket on and crashed for
the night. Joan got up at
midnight, fed Magic and took him for a walk just as
the last 100 miler
(Sandy Thompson) was coming in.  About 6:30AM, heard
the patter of rain on
the trailer roof. Bounced out of bed to get all the
"stuff" under the
awning.  Dang, just can't get away from this rain!
The 75 and 100 milers
huddled under the tent for awards Sunday morning.
Don't remember much about
placings..Debra Foti won the 50..

Looking forward to doing the 100 at Goethe.

I really enjoyed this ride.  My thanks to Lucie
Hancock, Patricia Jackson,
and the rest of the staff..  We enjoyed it a lot and
hope to be back next
year. The trail was marking was excellent.if you got
lost on this ride you
were not paying attention!

The vets were great! An international crew in
addition to Otis Schmitt.they
really liked Magic, although they were somewhat
surprised when I showed up
for the trot out in a neck rope. (I could probably
do the trot out in
nothing with Magic! <grin>)  He does a "purty" trot
on my shoulder.

When I was out on the trail, Joan was "volunteering"
as a timer..and crewing
for other riders. Couldn't have done it without her!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic