RE: [RC] [RC] UAE - Howard Bramhall

It took some true grit for John to post this. He, obviously, saw the show. Where is the outrage from the rest of ya'll?

I'm quite amazed that on this site a group of folks can villify someone who gets their horse into trouble at an endurance ride and, yet, remain almost silent on this issue. Is it because it came from me? Is it because ya'll just don't want to believe it's happening, can't fathom it's happening, or, heck, it's over there, what on earth does it have to do with us?

NOt only is it happening, it's happening right now, it's been happening for quite a long time, our government has known about it, continues to do business with them because of the war in Iraq, so, I guess the rest of us should act like our government since they sure know what their doing. Right?

Other folks, smarter than myself (the list is large), are gathering information about the UAE's camel jockey slave trade and will bring this up to the AERC BOD and the AERC International Committee. John and I are not the only ones sickened by all of this. The proof of the crime is pretty irrefutable. Not only is the crime of the Sheihks of the UAE continuing but, so is our complicity by sending riders over there to participate in the WEC when the camel jockey camp grounds are just down the road.

Sheihk Mohammed of the UAE should be in jail, awaiting trial by the World Court for crimes against humanity, not sponsoring any International endurance rides. And, he's not alone. Any sheihk who owns camels is directly involved. By last count, over 40,000 young boys have been purchased, abducted and enslaved because of camel racing in the Middle East.

We cannot allow this topic to fade away knowing that this atrocity is still happening. Please, check your gut on this issue. Get involved and speak out. Contact your AERC rep and discuss this topic with them. Find out where they stand on this issue. If you missed the show, other information will be following, from newspapers, web sites, and other sources. Please read it.

Of course, ride, ride, ride your horse, but, on this one, get involved! You know you want to. Don't hold back.

cya,
Howard

Desert Racers

Camel racing, the oldest and most venerated sport in the Middle East, is a draw for some of the region's wealthiest sheiks, whose stables compete for grandiose prizes. Hidden behind lavish spectacles, however, is a disturbing reality. The tiny jockeys who compete in these races are victims of a horrible slave trade, all young boys who have been kidnapped or sold into slavery as mere infants. In addition to enduring inhumane living conditions and beatings, the boys are intentionally starved to keep their weight down. Weak from undernourishment, some are maimed or killed while trying to pilot the 1500-pound camels. Using hidden cameras, REAL SPORTS travels to the United Arab Emirates for a special expanded report on the perilous lives of camel jockeys and the pitiless human traffickers that exploit them. Correspondent Bernard Goldberg interviews John Miller, a State Department ambassador at large, to determine whether the U.S. government is doing enough to stop the practice in this tense political climate.
--------
This is an absolute outrage. The AERC should break all ties with
with the UAE, including a boycott of the upcoming WEC.
Just picture being either kidnapped or sold, starved, beaten, raped, sleeping on the ground, penned like animals and haven't seen your 8th birthday yet.
Then you are strapped to the back of a 1500# camel wearing an
oversized helmet, not for protection, just so the shieks can see their stables colors. You then use all the strength your 50 pound body can muster to guide your camel to victory.
There are no spectators to watch you ride your million dollar camels, just the shieks who have bet their buddies untold amounts of gold and cars.
These camel jockeys are just babies.

Granted I can't write as well as Lynne or Kat or Angie, I'm not educated like Truman and many more on this list. But there is one thing I can do. I can smell a skunk and this stinks.

In the past I've accused Howard of being a racist, not having any credibility and a few more things. He gave Ridecamp a headsup on this. Listen to him. Please. This needs to be dealt with.

John Bass
Beatty Nevada