Re: [RC] selenium - firedancefarms

My 2 cents here on Se.  For years Bruce and I rode two stallions who were fed exactly the same thing and kept together.  My stallion would often "fall apart" about 5 minutes after a 50..very wobbly in the rear end.  We happened to have an excellent vet vetting the ride, and he told me about the SeE injections.  We had both horses tested...mine was very low, and Bruce's horse was in the high normal range.  Since both were fed the same thing, we had to rule out feed, and it became a case of individual metabolism.  We found the oral supplements did not increase blood level Se, but the shots were a lifesaver, and he never had the problem again.  We gave the shots about five days before a ride for about six months, then kept him on oral SeE.  The oral stuff seems to be able to maintain the levels, but we found you definitely needed a "jump start" with the shots.
The shots must be very painful, as it got to a point where we were "risking our life" trying to give them to the poor horse.  We separated the shot and gave it in the rear, but we ended up having to actually do it in a horse trailer to keep him confined.
This was many years ago, and if I were to do it today, I'd have my vet come out and do it IV.
Happy Trails,
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians