Re: [RC] The Sultan's Slave Trade - Truman Prevatt

Human trafficking is against international law. It's against the law in most civilized countries. There is nothing cultural about it - it is wrong and it is illegal. There may even be laws on the books in the EU and the US concerning dealing with countries that precipitate in human trafficking.

You are absolutly correct concerning the moral choice that every rider going to Duabi has to make along with the moral choice of AERC Int and USAE in supporting a country that is involved in human trafficking.

Truman

Lynne Glazer wrote:
I also viewed this program.  I think they said that the UAE instituted a law in 2002, the program said, that jockeys must be 15 years old and 100 lbs, which they tout to outsiders, and apparently completely disregard in practice.  They bar all photography of the races, though hidden cameras were used to get the HBO footage, though some of it was taken before they barred photography.

Many photos were shown of Sheik Mohammed, as the primary underwriter of the camel racing.  And that it's not just one of the Emirates.  They showed the camel training facilities--luxurious accomodations, treadmills, swimming pools, vets--and the human side living in hovels, beaten, raped, and mentally abused.

The program profiled the actions of a courageous Pakistani couple who kidnap and evacuate these camel jockeys from the primitive training camps back to their home countries of Bangladesh and Pakistan.  Heartbreaking is that many of the boys were too young when sold to know who their parents are or what village they're from.

I can't understand why they can't just abide by their own law, and have a level playing field--100 lbs and 15 years old.  Cultural condition or not--to me it's more heinous than the mare tripping that went on in the charreadas until barred by laws, because it's human trafficking.

I await the UAE's response and hope that they are willing to view their actions through the world's eyes, and see how this represents them as anachronistic barbarians, and perhaps perceive how civilized folk want nothing to do with slave nations.  Our competitors headed for Dubai have an immense moral choice to make...

Lynne