[RC] trotty walker - Amber B Fort

I too can vouch for a walker that can trot as well.  My very first horse that taught me tons about life, riding, etc was a walking horse/mix.  He was 6 years old and did NOT trot at the time, but did the RW and the Rack.  How hard it was to show a non trotting horse in a western pleasure class as an 8-12 year child who had no clue and only 4H training (all AQHA folks).  Needless to say, we turned to the speed events and did quite well.

By the time I was twelve or so, I was beginning to learn some about training horses (as well as more about how to get a horse to gait) and had heard about longing your horse for a training exercise.  So not know any better, I taught my boy to longe, low and behode a true trot that you could easily post. Of course, I later learned that you are not supposed to longe a Walking Horse.

It did not take long for me to figure out how to get him to do this under saddle and how to switch his button over to the smooth gaits as well.

It was always a treat to have an old timer come up next to me on the road while I was riding and tell me my horse "looked like he was moving funny/lame in the rear"  I always had to explain to them he was supposed to move that way since he was a Walking Horse.

Amber & David Fort

"Performance with out parameters"
Home to the Black Arabian stallions:
Kaysa Jerry (72% CMK)
Black Streak (Pure Polish)

Find the music you love on MSN Music. Start downloading now! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=