Re: [RC] /Nat'l Champ. Quals - heidi

Angie, I like that idea.   We all know (those who have been around a
bit) that a horse doesn't always perform 100% everyday.  So therefore
the NC as there are may not be your horse's day.   But the old way of
Les/Trilby is too hard on the pocket book and the horse.

OK, let's get our history straight.  The infamous Les/Trilby race had
NOTHING whatsoever to do with the AERC National Championship.  It was a
"race" for the mileage championship, prior to the time of the limitation
of the number of horses you could use for same.  Both Les and Trilby flew
all over the country and rode multiple horses--over 40 horses apiece, if
memory serves.  It was NOT related to the points championship, which
involves a horse/rider TEAM earning points together.

That said--Trilby DID win the National Championship twice--both times on
the same horse--once by doing three times as many miles as the folks who
won regularly, and when she was mocked for that, she picked up the pace
and did it with fewer miles and higher placings.  And both times, she
demonstrated the essence of endurance.

As for being too hard on the horse--a heckuva lot more National Champions
in those days came back to ride future seasons than do far too many of the
"one-race" champions that win FEI championships or other prestigious
events.

And as for being hard on the pocketbook--well, sure, it isn't cheap to be
the best at anything.  But it shouldn't be the pocketbooks that define the
champions.  Furthermore, although it certainly DID cost a fair amount to
go to that many rides, it was FAR easier to PLACE in the standings under
that system, because you could ride closer to home, not have the travel
expenses, and not have to take the time off of work.  I did it on a VERY
limited budget, and if one looks through the overall point standings from
the past few years, it really isn't all that odious to the pocketbook, as
compared to having to make a trek clear across the country if the NC ride
"happens" to be on the other coast the year your horse is prime for a shot
at it.  Never mind that many of us are in this sport to ride our HORSES,
not our truck seats!

Maybe the
other old way of a combination of NC rides, one held in each region
would be more fair.  I think you had to ride 3 to count.

That was also tried--and actually often required more hauling and time off
of work than simply riding more rides close to home to earn points.  And
it was not particularly popular or well-attended.

I really like
the idea of a "Horse of the year" award.   There is certainly something
to be said for a horse that can perform steady, ride after ride
throughout the course of a year.  That means the horse is good and the
rider is not so bad either.  :)  It would promote the "Take good care of
your horse" attitude to attain this award.  It would also promote the
"To finish is to win".  And is that not what we were founded on????

Well, yes--that is exactly what the classical points championship
promoted--good horses that could perform ride after ride, and riders who
were HORSEMEN enough to ride each ride with an eye to the welfare of their
horse, knowing that they still had to have a healthy horse to ride in the
next ride, and the next ride, and the one after that.

Heidi