[RC] National Championship Award - rides2far

The AERC already has an award similar to the nomination that some
have
suggested.  An award that I think is far more prestigious than any
of the
others.  The annual Partners Award

I think the Pardner's award is for more of a lifetime or "career of the
horse & rider team" type time frame. It's a great salute and I'd *love*
to qualify in people's minds to get that someday, but I don't think of it
the same as I would a "horse of the year". I also wouldn't necessarily
look at the horse that had the most points accumulated in a year as the
best, some may just run their horse too often in small races and be
rewarded with lots of points. I'd rather consider a horse whose rider
chooses high goals then strategically peaks the horse for those rides,
while still competing well in other rides. Now, if a horse won 1st & BC
at Biltmore & 1st & BC at OD, and then competed the rest of the year with
good finishes that would put them in the running...then there's the ones
out west who accomplished the equivalent in your toughest. Biggest
challenge I think would be trying to compare the two with each
other...east/west.

There have been some great horses who just consistantly turned in
superior performances.  Look up the record of Whoa Jack sometime. I think
we need to consider him for the Hall of Fame. If we'd had a "Horse of the
Year" award, he's one lots of you haven't heard of who could have won it.

Angie

Now includes pop-up blocker!