[RC] Old Yearbooks and memories - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Dawn Simas dawnsimas67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Merryben,

Last week I went to the Celebration Of Life for Betty Veal.  As many of you may
know, Betty never threw anything out.  And considering this year was the first
Tevis that she ever missed since day one--49 Tevis's--there was a room full of
memorabilia, Charlie Barrieau photos, magazines (many of them Appaloosa mags
featuring her and her stallion Crow), and two tables of rider cards.  Saw yours
there.  :)  What a wonderful night, we all reminisced about Betty and the old
school days of endurance.  Many of the "pioneers" were there including Dr.
Barseleau & Marion Robie Arnold.  Marion told a cute story of when she met
Betty in the 50's.  Everyone back then rode trails at a walk, Marion and her
grandfather Wendell always rode at a trot.  When they'd see riders on the
Auburn trails at a walk, they were called "Sacramento Riders".  Betty was a
"Sacramento Rider" and if she wanted to ride with them, she learned to go
faster.

Speaking of Smokey Killen's Bandit...I found a beautiful print I got 15 years
ago in my closet by Joe Souza.  It's a large numbered print of Smokey in his
hat holding Bandit in one hand and his rider card in the other.  Has that
adorable lost look on his face.  It was hand colored and signed by both Joe and
Smokey.  Titled "Smokey and the Bandit".  You could always count on seeing them
at a ride.  Took it this week to be framed in old barn wood so I can finally
put it on the wall.  :)

Dawn