RE: [RC] Myler bits - SOWright

I used to use a Myler combo bit with short shanks and the low-port comfort
snaffle mouthpiece on my horse, Skky.  Prior to that, he'd only been ridden in
D-ring snaffles and Tom Thumbs.  I didn't have enough "whoa" and rate with the
snaffles and the Tom Thumb was too harsh and he tended to lean on it and mess
around with the bit.   I went to a Myler clinic at our local saddlery and
talked to the rep about my horse's training level, habits, etc. and that's what
he recommended.  Skky responded wonderfully to the Myler combo!  No more
leaning on the bit or chewing - I think the other bits were pinching him.   You
custom-design your own options on the Myler bits, so you have a choice of
mouthpieces.  The comfort snaffle has a roller to protect the tong from the
joint, plus a low port so that you don't have constant pressure on the mouth.

Eventually, I switched Skky to a Myler D-ring with the same comfort snaffle
mouthpiece, because his combo bit didn't fit with his Tucker trail bridle.  The
combo runs high up the cheekbones, so it won't work with every bridle.  The
d-ring works fine, too.   I have a curb chain on it and the reins are attached
to special holes on the bottom so you actually get a little leverage out of the
bit.  I think the Myler combo actually trained Skky to be more responsive to
the comfort snaffle mouthpiece.  So, I don't need the rawhide nosepiece anymore
to rate and stop him.   The only thing I don't like about the Mylers is that
the external components are HUGE.  They look like they should be on a draft
horse, so they look oversized on Skky's delicate face.

Skky is able to eat profusely with his comfort snaffle, but that just may be a
talent of his.  I'm going to work him on an s-hackamore during the winter
months, and possibly switch to the hackamore in 2005.  We'll see about that -
Skky really likes to go fast and I need to rate him considerably.   But if I
have to stick with the Myler bit, it's no big deal.  I've never had problems
with sores or irritations with the comfort snaffle.

Sandra Wright