From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 8:41 AM
To: dabneyesq@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Nationals and treatment

It was unexpectedly very hot the day of the 100, and the trail was
also much  tougher than I think most riders expected, with lots of
tough climbs without  shade.

The head vet Barney Fleming announced at the ride meeting they would
be very  conservative with treatment because this was a high profile
ride, and indeed  they were.  Lots of very experienced top riders
pulled on their own or were  pulled and some of their horses were
given fluids preventatively.

In the Olympics, I am told, eventing horses are given fluids when they

get  off the trailer and in between rounds as a matter of course, to
prevent  dehydration related problems.

I hope endurance riders don't believe there's any stigma associated
with  having a vet give fluids to their horse--such is not at all
necessarily  correlative with "overriding," and we certainly shouldn't

discourage any  treatment that is for the welfare of the horse by
making it embarrassing for  the rider to request it.

Dabney, while I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph, there are
some things about this statement and this general situation which
greatly concern me.

One--intravenous treatment is an invasive procedure which also carries
inherent risks.  While I agree that there should be no hesitation to use
it if the situation warrants, and there should be no stigma attached, I
am concerned at the concept that it is simply a harmless preventative
that should be sought at the slightest hint of a problem.

The other thing that concerns me is your first statement about the
weather being unexpectedly hot.  We are supposed to be dealing with the
best of the best here, in terms of riders, and that INCLUDES the good
sense to SLOW DOWN and ride to conditions when such conditions are
present.  Had this been just a regular ride on such a day, I'd wager
that at least a fair number of these same riders involved WOULD have
slowed down, and would have avoided the necessity for treatment--and in
many cases might well have even finished.  However, since AERC has
deemed that this is not a "regular ride" but has instead chosen to have
a form of championship that puts all the eggs in one basket, so to
speak, we have in essence pressured riders to sell out on the very
notion that our first and foremost task in riding is to protect the
horse.  As the riders slough off the responsibility to ride their horses
to the ambient conditions because of the pursuit of glory, there is more
and more pressure put on the veterinary staff, and more and more risk of
irreversible damage.

One of the statements made in support of the concept of a one-day
championship was that it would somehow be "better" for the horses.  This
ride (as well as previous high-profile events) has once again
underscored the fact that this simply isn't true.  The pressure of a
one-day race for an overall championship simply causes riders to take
risks with their horses, ignoring the ambient conditions to their
detriment.

Back to your last paragraph--sometimes the need for treatment happens,
despite the care and caution that riders should (and usually do)
practice.  And in such cases, there indeed should NOT be any stigma in
doing the right thing for the horse--which is to take care of the
problem.  However, when any one ride has such an overwhelming percentage
of horses on jugs, there is something clearly wrong with the picture.
It is long past time that we re-visited the concept of the championship
being a "good thing" for horse welfare, and admitted that it is exactly
what it is--a one-day race with all the eggs in one basket that puts the
horses at significant risk.

Heidi