Re: [RC] Minors in Tevis - SandyDSA

In a message dated 10/11/2004 9:27:02 PM Pacific Standard Time, biothanetack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Minors and young people in events and being discriminated against is a
topic very dear to me. I turned 21 last year and am now a legal adult
and free to do what I please.I hope that includes paying for your own horse, housing, car, etc. You get the picture. >ggg< But, it is pure and simple age
discrimination. The entry to Tevis should be based on the rider history.
If they wish to discriminate against Courtney they also need to have a
old rider rule and not allow anyone over a certain age.Agree with Jonni - tell that to Julie.

You will hear over and over how young people cause most auto accidents.No they don't but because of their speed, they do the most damage; at least that is what oru insurnace agent told us last month when we had to renew.
Statistically they cause neither the most, drivers over the age of 80
do. But still you see young people paying out the rear for insurance and
paying dearly for things we want to do because we're high risk, no, I see parents by and large paying for those things fully or in large portion or so
the people in charge tell us. But you don't see Gramps who kills people
with his big Cadillac paying high rates. Probably Gramps has been paying for the past 50 years with few or no incidents. it is called aying your dues.

If anyone out there would take someone to court over age discrimination
I would love to see the outcome. If you're treating me as a second rate
citizen because I'm young and not because I haven't proven myself that
is pure and simple discrimination and it's wrong. No it isn't wrong - it is life. I cannot lift 40# right now - I am a woman who ahs sustanined an injury. Clearly I am not fit to hold certain jobs. That is not discrimination - that is life.

I hope you don't give up the fight Courtney even once you're old enough
to ride Tevis alone. And I hope she learns to choose the hills worth dying on and for. In the general scheme of life, I don't believe thsi is it. NO statement to perceived injustice will change the maturity factor. No intent to make light of this - it is close to MY heart as well since we have a 17 yo and 19 yo daughters who has at time sespoused the same thoughts. They are maturing over the months and years and it is  a PLEASURE! Wow. 21 years of age is not monumental, and truly no age really is THEE mark of maturity. Attitude is a bigger mark of it. I DO know that, as a mom, I am glad that my daughters by and large choose carefully now - NOW - the hills they want to die on - or transcend.