[RC] Nationals - Truman Prevatt

We don't want to put a stigma on fluids since we don't want people to deny their horses the proper treatment if they need it. However, we also don't want to see putting horses on fluids as the norm. Many times on 100's particularly the completion rate is low, but one in six starters on fluids seems a bit high.

I would hope the AERC vet committee. horse welfare committee and ride management would work together to determine why the high treatment rate so steps can be taken to mitigate this amount of stress in the future.

Truman

First I need to state this is message is sent to educate me.  I am not sending this to incite a riot or cause anyone trouble (but I suspect it will).  I crewed at the 100 mile Nation Championships in Warner Hot Springs last week.  Of the 30 starters only 11 finished.  Lots of the pulls were due to metabolic problems.  I personally saw 5 horses with IV’s.  I did not keep a record, nor did I inquire who owned the horses or who rode them.  In other words I do not know the particulars on the horses requiring treatment.  So here is my question, is it normal for a National Championship ride to have so many pulls and so much metabolic issues?  Again, this is for my education only. Thank you in advance for your responses and trying to understand what happened,

Nancy Reed (yep, stupid here in), Elfin Forest, CA

PS My guy got pulled at 54 miles for a suspensory injury.  It was heart breaking for all of us on the team.

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."