[RC] Talladega Ride Story - Alicia Mansuetti

I had been telling Joe and Tamra Schoeh that I was coming to their ride for several months.  I had originally planned to do the 3 day there but conflicts with my kids got in the way and I opted to go on Friday for the Saturday ride with my friend Claire.  Last week before the ride was tough, I caught some throat virus and was in the bed with a fever until Thursday am.  I had called Claire and told her I could not go that am.  That morning I started feeling bunches better so I decided if I could catch my vet to get a health certificate for my horse I would go.  I actually got him on the phone, so it was decided I would go.  I hurriedly threw everything into the trailer Thursday night.  Friday am I woke up not feeling 100% again but I went on.  By the time we got there and set up camp I was tired.  I slept the whole afternoon in my horse trailer.  I woke up long enough to eat and ask Tamra the specifics of the ride meeting to go back to bed.  Then I woke up Saturday am to rain.  I could hear my husband saying to me not to ride in the rain if I did not feel ok.  I went over to the ride management tent to hear Joe and Tamra getting the 100% chance of rain weather report for the day on the radio.  Claire and I decided to pack up and go home.  We both wanted to ride a 100 at Hallelujah in 2 weeks so with me feeling bad and the rain we decided to go home.  We packed up all of our stuff and tied our horses to the trailer and then....

Sandy Thompson came over and said; you know this is a beautiful trail and if you want to do a 100 in 2 weeks ride the 25 as a training ride.  She said she had the same plan that we had.  Ok we would ride 25.  Had not ridden a 25 in 3 years.  So many nice people pitched in help us.  Buddy gave us water since we had dumped all of ours and Nancy Gooch gave me her extra rain coat and offered me medicine for my throat.  We were off on a 25 miler!!!  they had said the trail was technical and the first loop was 18 miles!  I caught Sandy and we paced together with Claire up ahead of us.  Sandy and I got into some great conversation and missed a turn.  We added another 2 or so miles to our ride!  Sandy and I had a ball.  Gave our horses some aneraerobic training on the 4 mile wide open road.  It was a blast and it had quit raining just before the start.  It was the most fun I had had on a first loop in a long time!!!  When I came into camp my drugs were wearing off and I was sweating like I had never sweat before in our August heat.  My horse looked great and I had some nice man with a little boy hold my horse while I took some Advil and sprayed the chloraaseptic like it was the best tasting mouth stuff ever.  I was ready to finish and our last loop was only 6 miles!  It was the shortest loop I had ever ridden at an endurance ride.  Before I knew it I was across the finish line.  I came into camp and with my head pounding again I did not realize that I had passed right by my horse trailer, after taking a tour around camp I found my horse water and my friend Claire said did you pulse down?  I said no because I had became distorted with the sinus drugs and she said hurry I think you are in top ten.  I knew she was down and we stripped the saddle and walked to the p&r.  I ended up 13th actually a lucky number for my family.  It did not really matter to me where I had finished because it was a great training ride for us.

Many, many thanks to Joe, Tamra and Sara for putting on an awesome ride!!!  The completition awards were some neat sun visors for your truck or car and top ten was a cool collapsible bucket.  The trails were awesome and after training in the mountains I thought they were easy for us and alot of fun.  I plan to go again and told all my endurance friends at home that his was a ride not to miss next year!!!  I really appreciate everyone and their kindness that day.  I could not have made it without the extra water, the rain coat and Sandy's company on the trail that day!  I also was so very impressed as my heart went our to Sara Engsberg, who at 2am was up putting up pie plates that were taken down by some crazy people in the middle of the night.  When I left yesterday she was out riding her third day of 155 miles!  I hope she finished.  Debbie Ivey won the 50 on Toby as I was leaving and that about wraps up Talladega for me this year.  This is a beautiful ride with awesome management!  Try it next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Trails!
Alicia Mansuetti and Patrolons Star