[RC] *I* need advice on picking up feet - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I could use a little advice in the "picking up feet" area myself. All my
previous horses had either been handled, or I handled their feet when they were
babies. We recently bought a 5 yr. old recently gelded horse who had barely
been handled. He's doing wonderfully when we don't rush him. He's Josie's and
she's already riding him a little. I've been picking up his front feet and
trying to hold them just a second and put them down before he yanks it away so
he'll know it's my decision. We've done very little hopping around with me
hanging on, just a quick pickup. His hind feet haven't been touched yet. He's
not shy about me handling him but he's nearly 15.1 with LONG legs and when I've
tried to pick it up there's that one big snap swing of just "let me loose". To
complicate matters he has a way of being constantly beat up. I've watched him
and he aggrivates the other horses until they hurt him. So..he's had a swollen
rear fetlock with a cut that we didn't doctor at all since we couldn't handle
it.

So...any advice on starting out...little tricks I haven't thought of? What I'm
trying now is just putting a big fat cotton lead around his leg above the hock
(me holding the 2 ends) and letting it drop down to the fetlock, then pulling
forward till he lifts it (while I stand well forward). He doesn't act
especially scared of this and it seems to be getting him used to the idea of
picking it up. I'm hoping he'll get over that first slap/jerk before I have
hold of it. I do not believe in making the farrier train my horse. I've heard
some people say they tranquelize them to handle at first but I tried to doctor
his fetlock and he could kick like a mule! No problem holding his liquor.

I was supposed to be leaving for Talladega this morning but didn't have my
grades in yet at school so got stuck here. The weather is cool enough for a
jacket so they got terribly lucky. I must be turning the page in my endurance
career. Could load Ben up and go get a few more miles but I'd rather work on
starting these new guys. It's a fun change. Can't wait to get them out there
piddling down the trail.

Angie

Now includes pop-up blocker!