[RC] On arab mules, crazy kid tricks, and mounting bareback - Julie Fuller

There is a local horseman here who has an arab/walker mule named Miss Erma. She's awesome! Black, about 14 hands, and with a walk to die for! He's on old codger.... horse trader type, but fairly honest *grin* and a kick in the ass to ride with... no pun intended. I used to ride with him occasionally, usually when I happened upon him WAY out in the back of beyond. He said he liked to ride with me cuz I carry Southern Comfort in my saddle bags, and because he felt safe (I pack a pistol)

He goes to the fair every year and cleans up in the show ring with that little molly. Everyone hates to see him coming! He's been doing that for years.... I think Miss Erma must be pushing 20 now. And to do him credit, he's been offered a fortune for that little mule, and will never sell.

I've really enjoyed everyones stories about the crazy things they did as kids..... Sure brings back memories! I used to work at a stable, and all us kids used to practice all sorts of tricks on everyone's unsuspecting horses.

We used to try the "pick up an unhorsed friend trick"... you see it in the movies all the time. You know, where someone's horse gets shot out from under them in a running gunfight, and their buddy gallops by, swooping them up and onto the back of the horse? Jeez! I can't tell you how many times I slammed into a horses ass trying that one!

Or, the bucking horse practice.... (and please..no flaming.. we WERE just kids!) There was a 29 inch tall mini stallion that some idiot bought for his 4 year old. Naturally, the pony was NEVER used. I rode him some, but soon figured out that it was a blast to tie a hay-string around him like a bucking strap, then get all the kids together to try to stay on him. *smile* We all ended up on the ground eventually.... usually in the manure pile!

And then there was the "bringing home the body" trick. LOL! *mental picture* We had to actually pick up the "dead friend" toss her over the saddle, and lead the horse somewhere. I had it tough... my horse was short, but my girlfriend was TALL. I had a hell of a time getting all those legs and arms flowing in the right direction!

As for mounting bareback... I used to have a 17 hand Saddlebred. He parked beautifully with a slight squeeze to the withers. He parked SO FAR that it brought his back down to about 14 hands! AND his front legs were so far in front of him I could use the near leg for a mounting block! That was awesome! My neighbor and I (both of us short) would get on him bareback... he'd stand parked while we each got up, then we'd ride him all over the place for hours! He had the most wonderful smooth gaits, and being an x show-horse, was impeccably broke. Everyone thought we were nuts, riding him on the roads like we did (with no helmets too) but we never fell off.

Well, thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.... now it's back to canning tomato sauce!

Julie