Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Fear when mounting/dismounting - Elin Pendleton

On Oct 7, 2004, at 7:03 PM, Margaret Dinan wrote:

if you shorten your left rein and tip your horse's head toword you, there is no way that they can shoot forward

Today I had an interesting experience. My ultra sensitive Peruvian and I are working on standing issues for mounting. He gets So excited that we are going out, that he is just about impossible to keep still, once he is bridled and saddled. Today I got on, after moving him up to the mounting block five times, stopping him, repeating... making him wait...and hardly before I'm in the saddle, he starts backing up! Not what I want to have happen, but for the last couple rides, I had gotten on, and backed him a few steps (that control thing.) He seems to want to anticipate my moves, to prevent me from controlling him. ("OK, she wants me to back, we did that last time, so I'll back up before she can tell me." I can almost see him thinking that!)
Any ideas on how to get him to be rock solid? During the ride today, I had to walk him for a ways after the midpoint, and remount along side a busy street. I used a lamp post base, and we went around and around and around the post (not on) until I could finally get him to stand for me to get on. The first time he slid sideways away, and I came off (gently). Then when I got him re-positioned, he half reared (which is his message to me he is frustrated and wants to do something i'm not letting him do.) The second time, I got on, but he moved out at a good clip before I could get my feet in the stirrups.
Any training tips would be appreciated...Other than that, he is a dream to ride.
--
Elin Pendleton, AAEA, WAOW, NAPA
The Paintings: http://www.elinart.com