RE: [RC] [RC] Fear when mounting/dismounting - Lif Strand

At 09:01 AM 10/7/2004, Mike Sherrell wrote:
I've always wanted to try that sort of scissors leap from the ground
directly into the saddle you sometimes see young bucks do in movies, but I'm
afraid I'd freak the horse.

I've tried it. My cousin can do it and she makes it look easy. She can hop on a 16 hand horse that way - I've watched her. Cousin says there's a trick to it, but she's never been able to explain adequately to me. When I tried it I just I kicked the horse in the gut - no way to encourage a horse to stand still to be mounted!

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/