[RC] Off-side mounting and dismounting - Dyane Smith

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get a mountain horse used to both sides.  Sun and I were up on a wickedly narrow trail in the Angeles forest one time.  We came to a place were the trail went down to about 6" (from maybe 2 1/2').  I couldn't tell whether the trail had broken away or if it was just sand that had slid down over it.  I decided to get off and go in front to scuff the trail to see.  The only side available to get off was the uphill (off-side).  Downhill I could see the canyon floor 500' below my stirrup.  When I got off, I slid on the sand and ended up under my horse, who stood like a statue while I crawled out between his front legs.  (Never hurts to have a horse that is used to stupid rider tricks and who is fundamentally a survivor.)

Trail turned out to just have a heap of sand on it.   Otherwise, neither I nor my friend riding behind me would be around to tell the story.

Dyane