[RC] DR Thunder Bask +// - Jonni Jewell

DR Thunder Bask+//
May 4th, 1983 - Sept.30, 2004

Doc started his AERC endurance career as a 5-year-old in 1988. As a
15-year-old in 1998, he became the Highest Mileage Stallion and third
overall highest mileage horse in AERC history, and was also inducted into
the  AERC Hall of Fame.  With over 15,000 miles, he had  270 finishes of 275
starts. He completed five Tevis Rides between 1988 and 1994. Winning the Jim
Jones Stallion award 5 times, and 3 times runner up.
His main partners over the years were his owner Cheri Briscoe, and her
daughter, Laurie Ledbetter.  Those who know Laurie, know that in 1999, she
was in an accident that left her partially paralyzed.  Laurie and Doc had
spent thousands and thousands of miles competing on the endurance trail,
often "racing", with Laurie looking our for Docs best interest on the trail
that day. But now was the time for Doc to look out for Laurie. Just six
months after an accident that doctors had concerns of Laurie ever having use
of her limbs, Laurie rode a horse. Not any horse, but her partner for so
many endurance miles, Doc. This is part of what I always think of when I
think about Doc. His very gentle nature and personality. This attitude has
been passed down to his foals. I have worked with a few of them, and they
are all very laid back, and have been easy to train and work with. They are
all horses that really like people, and become part of the family so easy. I
will miss seeing that handsome black bay horse coming down the trail with is
silver embossed noseband sparkling in the sun. Ears up, enjoying another
ride...another mile.

We are doing a special tribute / memorial, and purchase a mile of the Tevis
trail in his name.
If you are interested in contributing, please email me direct for details.
While we hope to
"surprise" Cheri with this tribute, we know she might get wind of it. If
interested, drop me a note, and I will
send you information on where to mail contributions. ANY contribution is
fine. We would just really love to have a nice group of names to send to the
Briscoe's, from folks who want to honor Doc in this manner.
Jonni
jonnij@xxxxxxxx

for those on archives:  jonnij @ ntws . net  (take out spaces)