Re: [RC] physiology & conditioning - rides2far

So, Angie, do you give your horse off a week after a medium tough
7-hour 50-mile "race"?

Heck yeah. Any excuse is good enough for me. I give *myself* a week off.
g<

I> In your experience, does it do an equine body good to school that
second week then go back to conditioning unless there's a ride the
second week?

"School" is kind of an unused word around her unfortunately. I don't even
have a place flat enough to lounge on other than a tiny circle. I'm
hauling my new horses to a ring hoping to get this pair actually
*trained* before they're conditioned.

I really watch lower legs and feet...ESPECIALLY during
the season.  So, if all seems well, schooling collection or whatever
suits your fancy?

Collection. Wow. I'd love to see some collection in this lifetime. Maybe
someday. Around here there's just "easy trail rides" and "training rides
where you push their heart rate on the mountain". Sometimes I haul to a
flat trail so I can post a little it's so up and down here.

I've NEVER been guilty of OVERconditioning.

I have but not lately. This weekend was fun. Rode Weedy, my 4 yr. old on
his first "in the woods trail ride". Walked for 45 minutes *very* slowly,
then he sort of weaved, and staggered under my weight up the hill back to
the house. It was great, I totally loafed and felt like I'd really made
him tired. Kaboot was no fun at all. You'd ride him 5 hrs. and he'd look
at you like, "You think *that* put a dent in *my* energy?"

Yes, the opposite is
probably true.  This year has been the best for me only because
Kathy Crothers guilted me into conditioning more! LOL!  I still
don't ride as much between rides or during the week as she does but
I'm getting better.  However, in 20 years of competition, I've not
had many lower leg injuries or metabolic/lameness issues.

I believe that tendons are something you are far more likely to damage as
a result of your day to day training rides than because of one
competiton. You tear down a tendon thread by thread, not all at once.
Those daily training rides without rest in between break a tendon down
bit by bit till the straw that breaks the camel's back. I think it's hard
to blow a healthy tendon in one hard ride. I'm betting if it blows at a
ride, it was weakened coming in. Maybe I'm all wrong, but I haven't hurt
one since I started believing that way.

The way I understand what they've told me about conditioning is that a
horse doesn't lose conditioning until he's had about 3 weeks off. Also,
that it takes about 2 weeks for conditioning to take affect or come to
fruition or what ever you want to call it. With that in mind I don't
really plan *any* conditioning other than what the horse gets in
competition once the season has started. It's too late then. The time to
work on improving the horse was back in June & July. Now it's just time
to keep him sound. Anyway, a 50 mile race is a heck of a conditioning
ride in itself. I do ride some like others say, "just to keep him loose".
I will also train some but it's probably more likely to help at the ride
in Nov. than the ride this weekend.

For whoever asked me about how multi-dayers do it. Heck if I know. Deal
with the devil? Act of God? either guess is as good as mine. I've never
done one so anybody in the world who's done 2 days straight has better
info than I do on that. :-P

I guess I just became the ambassador for "rest days" when I realized how
hard I was busting my butt just to break down horses while other people
were sleeping in a couple of days that I dragged my butt out and
trained...and their horses were sound and beating me!

Angie

Get your name as your email address.