[RC] fear factors - Mary Ann Spencer

Interesting to read the fear and spooking fears being shared.  DANG, here I am thinking I am alone with this.  I used to ride alone before my daughter was old enough and now after those great yrs of having a great companion to ride with, I am riding alone again.  Fear of breaking a bone or having an injury that prevents ability to work is part of it.  Being out of the saddle for over a yr adds to it.   Lack of confidence from my daughter doesn't help.  I learned about Parelli last yr in Iraq when I meet someone who was using his program to retrain ex race horses along with convicts.  SOOOOOOOOOO  we just need to find one of the several training programs we like and go and do it.  2 wks ago I put out plastic bags and plastic tape around all the places my horses have to walk.  I am thinking it is helping.  A friend said to be sure to tie out some W Mart bags as they seem to really spook the horses.  So my place sort of looks like a cheap left over parade field but it seems to be working.

Two things I have found consistent with my horses spooking:  brown or black lumps, white items and patches that have a big color difference.  The spooking is not really consistent.  Yrs ago rode some horses in CO in the spring and there were patches of snow here and there and the dang Appy I was riding spooked at the patches, even tho it was his pasture-granted he lived on 300 acres but still.  Why?? At snow?  But white seems to bother them.  On another note, they just may feel you not paying enough attention and take advantage of that.  Go figure.  Mary Ann