[RC] Fear & Used Helmets (kinda long) - Kelly

I just wanted to add my story that involves fear and
the use of a helmet..

When I was younger my then boyfriend, now husband, and
I were riding my Arabian/Welsh together along side a
road we had ridden on many times. It was day light
outside as we went down the shoulder of the road, to
our dismay, a drunk driver in a Dodge Caravan ran into
the back of us. My husband broke both arms in two
places and all of his fingers in at least one place. I
broke my arm and received a nice "hole" in my head
that required some stiches and a night in the
hospital. My horse broke her tail right at the rump
but thank goodness was only sore from the accident.
The only thing I remember from that day was talking
about riding and then waking up in the hospital. We
should have been wearing a helmet!! It took a long
time for both my husband, horse, and I to get over the
fear of being near the road. I remember the first
couple of times we were near the road (opposite side
of ditch and/or fire lane) I would jump off and and
watch the car go past, as my mare would also turn
around to watch the car. She wasn't afraid as long as
she could see it. During this time she would not load
on the drivers side of the trailer and stayed to the
passenger side away from the on coming vehicles. It
took some time but we both slowly got over it.. She
trusted me and soon I stopped jumping off and she soon
felt my ease and stopped tucking her butt under. To
this day we do not walk along side the road unless we
have to and then we face the traffic to see what is
coming. (like when my sisters horse was bit by a
copper head snake and we needed that quickest route
home, we walked along the road). I still remember
being afraid and having those fears, and I thank God
we are all ok and have accomplished getting over those
fears...

Thanks for listening, lol...

http://vote.yahoo.com