[RC] fear and being old - larry Miller

Geez guys, all this yap about fear and getting older is true entertainment to me.   At age 48 you guys are teenagers!! I am almost 64 and now I have second thoughts about some of the stuff I do with my horses.  BUT, I still race the kids, I still do lip hill as fast as the horse can (lip hill is a short steep hill with the last 3 feet being straight up.  The horses fly up that hill, leap at the 3 ft mark, and then the rider is treated to the horse version of a roller coaster!!)  But I am more cautious since I don't bounce as well as I use to.  My older horses aren't the calmest in the world and still throw some great spooks.  But the reason why I am more fearful of the younger one is because I have ridden him for 2 years, but Bay I have ridden for 19 years and Maggie for 11.  So I know those older guys like the back of my hand.  That is why I am more comfortable with them.  The younger one is the safer of the three but I don't know him as well and thus I always expect him to do something stupid that I won't be able to hang on to.  Bottom line is this, no matter how safe the horse, accidents happen.  As long as my bod holds up and I can climb on a horse, I am riding.  Maybe not the distance I use to, but I can still go to rides, I can ride shorter distances, I can help, and I can visit with old and new friends.  I hope to slide into home base yelling, "woooo eeee, that was one hell of a ride"!  Jeanie